Final Run Event for 2014 - Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS)

Thursday 11 December 2014

Photo Credit : Running Shots

I participated in the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2014 (SCMS 2014) that was held on 7 December 2014 (Sunday). On top of the challenging terrain and weather, the organiser had definitely made it more challenging by failing to provide bananas and giving out 'limited' energy gels during the marathon. 

Although Rachel had intended to make a debut in the 42km run, I barred her to participate as she had been ordered for medical tests and bone scan on the following day. As such, she became my supporter once more. It turned out to be a wise decision as the test result showed that there is lesion on her left knee bone (that could potentially be a stress injury/bone crack or tumour). Hence, no running for her until further advisory from the doctors.

The Run

For me, there was no big surprises in this race as I had experienced 'repeated surprises' in the past 8 marathons that I participated. I am not a gifted runner. I often rely on careful and deliberate planning so that I could complete each race intact. The terrain and weather challenges arose in SCMS had been carefully analysed and mentally rehearsed (see link) prior the race. Therefore, no major upsets for me. The logistics saga by the organisers were uncalled for but I kinda expected such things to happen (i.e. no bananas and no gels), thus, it did not affect me greatly as I brought my own gels for the entire race. 

This year, the only significant challenge I had to overcome during my run was the annoying backache (that I caught after a hard fall at our car park 2 days before the race). I was following the 5hr pacer group closely until my back strain/pain aggravated at the 5km mark. Knowing the high possibility for further aggravation and risking a potential DNF if I were to continue at the same pace, I had to change my running strategy. Instead, I adjusted my running to a 'run on the spot' style' to reduce the stress on my back. This change affected my pace and the 5hr pacers were drifting away :(.  This was demoralising. I was about to give up when my mantra, 'Complete, NOT Compete' suddenly appeared in my mind!

I persisted to complete my 9th marathon but changed my expected completion time (from 5:00hr to 5:30hr). For the next 30 km, I adopted a jog-walk strategy to avoid unnecessary stress on my back. 

Nearing the finishing line, I was delighted to be greeted by the loud and crazy cheer from my wife, whom had 'camped' 100m before the finishing point since 7.15 a.m. 

I am glad that I did not give up and managed to complete the race at 5:23:19h, a minute faster than my local Personal Best. 

Equipment Check 1 Night before the Race
In the morning before we moved out to Orchard Road
At the Start Point
The Start Point
At the 'DESERT' before Marina Barrage
(Photo Credit : Running Shots )
100m before Finishing Point
Stepping out of the Welfare Tentage after collecting my medal, finisher tee and refreshments

Personal Race Data










Conclusion

There were no big surprises in SCMS 14 and I was satisfied to complete the marathon. I would rate the logistic support as one of the below average event at the national level. It puts me in a dilemma as I am beginning to hesitate my participation for subsequent Singapore Marathons. 

Maybe I am just finding reasons and excuses to participate in more overseas runs?!




1 comment:

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY